On Thursday November 14, 2013, our very own Attorney Gulati participated in the North East Indo-US Chamber of Commerce Legal Panel with five other leading attorneys in the area. After a successful panel, she was presented with an Appreciation Award.
If you missed the event, here are a few questions she answered on the panel:
What are some common mistakes immigrant small business owners make?
- Do not plan to protect their assets
- No business plan
- No budget
- Did not get an attorney to review contracts before entering into them
- Such as leases, confidentiality agreements, vendor, phone contracts, etc
- Tax issues- did not seek advice from a CPA
- Not getting the correct or required licenses
- Starting with large amounts of debt
What factors should a home-buyer consider before purchasing a home or investment property in the current real estate market?
- What kind of property are you looking into
- Do your due diligence of the property and make sure it is outlined in the contract so you have ways to get out if there is something not favorable to you. i.e. Make sure you have contract contingencies in place.
- Location- such as attractions, school district, community resources, this also helps resale.
- Have a plan and exit strategy
- How are you financing the property
It was also our distinct pleasure to have Attorney Gulati discuss the FIRPTA requirements for foreign Sellers on November 15, 2013, at the North East Florida Association of Realtor’s- Global Business Council. If you would like more information on this presentation or a copy of the PowerPoint discussed, please contact us.
To join any of these great organizations please e-mail us for more information.